Content Viewer

Heavy vehicles

Heavy Vehicle Inspection Scheme (HVIS) booking

The HVIS is an annual roadworthiness inspection scheme. Most classes of NSW registered heavy vehicles require a HVIS inspection. All inspections are carried out by Roads and Maritime Services' vehicle inspectors

Plan ahead – book your inspection early to get a time and location that suits you best.

Book an inspection online


Intelligent Access Program (IAP) online enrolment facility

The Intelligent Access Program (IAP) online enrolment facility allows registered operators of the following vehicles to enrol in the IAP:

  • High risk mobile cranes.
  • HML Short Combination.
  • HML B-Double.
  • HML Road Trains (excluding HML Modern Road Trains on and east of the Newell Highway).
  • B-Triples or AB-Triples under the Road Train Modernisation Program.

From 9am, Tuesday 25 February 2014 there will be changes to the permit application process under the Heavy Vehicle National Law to address the delays in the system.

Enrol in IAP online


Intrastate & Interstate Permits

For all heavy vehicles seeking a permit for travel within NSW and between other states:

As of the 1 June 2020, all heavy vehicle permit applications must be submitted to the NHVR via the NHVR Portal:

TfNSW and local Councils will no longer be able to issue permits directly to operators.

If you require assistance utilising the NHVR Portal, please contact the NHVR on 1800 696 487.


Class 1 Agricultural Vehicles, Class 1 Special Purpose Vehicles, Class 2 and Class 3 Vehicles

From 31 July 2019 all Class 1 Agricultural Vehicle, Class 1 Special Purpose Vehicle, Class 2 and Class 3 vehicle permits will be issued by the NHVR. Applications will need to be made directly to NHVR.


Online special permits

The online special permits application allows heavy haulage operators to view their previously issued TfNSW oversize and overmass permits.

From 1 June 2020, this service will become read only access for operators.

As of the 1 June 2020, you must apply for all  new permits, amendments and renewals via the NHVR Portal:

If you require assistance utilising the NHVR Portal, please contact the NHVR on 1800 696 487.



National Heavy vehicle accreditation (NHVAS)

The National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) is responsible for managing the NHVAS from 21 January 2013.

NHVR website

  • Sold your car recently?

    The seller must have a NSW licence number. The buyer must have either a NSW licence number or a NSW Motor dealer licence number.

    Find out more

    Lodge notice

  • Change your address

    You can change your address online, by telephone or by visiting a motor registry.

    Change address

  • Site Requirements

    We are improving accessibility to online services for hand-held and mobile devices by upgrading its system. Until this system upgrade is complete, it is advised that online services be accessed by a desktop or laptop computer.

    Find out more

Content Viewer