Content Viewer

Heavy vehicles

Heavy Vehicle Inspection Scheme (HVIS) booking

The HVIS is an annual roadworthiness inspection scheme. Most classes of NSW registered heavy vehicles require a HVIS inspection. All inspections are carried out by Roads and Maritime Services' vehicle inspectors

Plan ahead – book your inspection early to get a time and location that suits you best.

Book an inspection online


Intelligent Access Program (IAP) online enrolment facility

The Intelligent Access Program (IAP) online enrolment facility allows registered operators of the following vehicles to enrol in the IAP:

  • High risk mobile cranes.
  • HML Short Combination.
  • HML B-Double.
  • HML Road Trains (excluding HML Modern Road Trains on and east of the Newell Highway).
  • B-Triples or AB-Triples under the Road Train Modernisation Program.

From 9am, Tuesday 25 February 2014 there will be changes to the permit application process under the Heavy Vehicle National Law to address the delays in the system.

Enrol in IAP online


Intrastate Permits

For Class 1 Load Carrying vehicles seeking a permit for travel within NSW:


Interstate Permits

For Class 1 Load Carrying vehicles seeking a permit for travel between NSW and another state you will need to seek a permit directly from NHVR.


Class 1 Agricultural Vehicles, Class 1 Special Purpose Vehicles, Class 2 and Class 3 Vehicles

From 31 July 2019 all Class 1 Agricultural Vehicle, Class 1 Special Purpose Vehicle, Class 2 and Class 3 vehicle permits will be issued by the NHVR. Applications will need to be made directly to NHVR.


Online special permits

The online special permits application allows heavy haulage operators to manage their oversize and overmass permits.

From 25 February 2014

Roads and Maritime was granted delegation by the NHVR to assist with the permit applications and renewals of Class 1 oversize and overmass for travel solely within NSW roads. Roads and Maritime will only assess and issue permits for NSW State roads. Operators will need to contact local government for access to local roads. This is a temporary measure to assist the NHVR in fast tracking permit processing.

You can apply for a permit or renew an existing permit via the  online special permits or using the Class 1 permit application forms.


National Heavy vehicle accreditation (NHVAS)

The National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) is responsible for managing the NHVAS from 21 January 2013.

NHVR website

  • Sold your car recently?

    The seller must have a NSW licence number. The buyer must have either a NSW licence number or a NSW Motor dealer licence number.

    Find out more

    Lodge notice

  • Change your address

    You can change your address online, by telephone or by visiting a motor registry.

    Change address

  • Site Requirements

    We are improving accessibility to online services for hand-held and mobile devices by upgrading its system. Until this system upgrade is complete, it is advised that online services be accessed by a desktop or laptop computer.

    Find out more

Content Viewer