When you sell your vehicle, it is your responsibility to tell Roads and Maritime Services that you are no longer the registered owner.
If you forget to tell us that you have sold or disposed of the vehicle, you could be held responsible for parking and other driving offences until the new owner transfers registration of the vehicle into their name.
To avoid any unnecessary fines, all you need to do is complete and submit a Notice of Disposal.
How to complete a Notice of Disposal online
To complete the Notice of disposal, you will need the following information:
- Details of the vehicle you have sold or disposed of
- Registration plate number
- VIN/Chassis number
- Your details
- Name of seller
- Date of disposal (sale date)
- Licence number/ Photo card
- Card number
- Buyer details
- Surname of the Buyer / NSW Motor Dealer Licence Number
- Buyer's licence number
- Selling price or market price (whichever is higher)
- Buyer must have a NSW licence number and seller must have a NSW licence number / photo card to lodge a Notice of Disposal
- Companies cannot lodge a NOD online
- Once a NOD has been completed, the buyer can transfer the registration
Submit your notice of disposal